Altar of the Holy Cross
The Baroque altar of the Holy Cross was built in 1735 from black marble incrusted with pink marble. It holds a Gothic sculptural masterpiece – the stone cross sculpted by Veit Stoss in late 15th century. The striking realism of Christ’s suffering emphasises the emotional and spiritual dimension of the Lord’s passion. The background of the cross is composed of a silver metal plate with an image of Jerusalem, which was made in the 18th century by Józef Ceypler.
Chapel of the Conversion of St. Paul
The chapel is located on the second floor of the church’s southern tower. It was funded by Kraków councillor Paweł Kauffmann in 1522. The altar was decorated by paintings of Michael Lancz von Kitzingen: Conversion of St. Paul in the centre, The Entombment of Christ in the predella, and Christ Ruling over Angels in the finial. Unfortunately, the original pieces were stolen by Nazis.
Chapel of St. Anthony
The Chapel of St. Anthony, which is also known as the chapel of Villains, was used to hold convicts sentenced to death before they were led by ministers for execution in the morning. The Baroque altar in the chapel was created in the 17th century.
Chapel of Our Lady of Loreto
The chapel was funded in 1597 by father Paweł of Zator. It was separated from the western part of the north aisle with a Renaissance lattice, on which gilded statues of angels were set around the year 1640. The late Baroque altar, which was likely designed by Francisco Placidi, hosts a late 16th century painting of Our Lady of Loreto in a silver dress.
Chapel of St. John the Baptist (initially of the Holy Spirit)
The chapel was built in 1446. From 1513, it was in the care of the wealthy Boner clan. Its preserved furnishings include the magnificent bronze tombstones of Seweryn Boner and his wife Zofia née Bethman. Initially, it hosted a painted altar designed by Hans Suess vel Kulmbach, one of the best students of Albrecht Duerer. The walls are decorated with polychromes by Józef Mehoffer from 1932.
Chapel of St. Lawrence
The chapel was funded by Kraków councillor Marek Noldenfesser and was built over the years 1423–41. The Baroque furnishings of the chapel are from the 18th century. The polychromes on the walls were created by Jan Bukowski.
Chapel of the Transfiguration of Jesus (initially of Corpus Christi)
The chapel was funded in 1439 by townsman Jerzy Szwarc. The Baroque altar from 1747 is attributed to Francisco Placidi. The stage arrangement of the altar, which is an imitation of Mount Tabor, includes obelisks and columns with upside-down abutments and composes the piece together with a painting of the Transfiguration. The painting was created in the atelier of Szymon Czechowicz in Warsaw around the year 1773. The polychromes on the side walls were created by Jan Bukowski.
Chapel of Black Madonna of Częstochowa
The chapel is located on the ground floor of the bell tower. Its Baroque main altar holds a copy of the Black Madonna of Częstochowa painting. According to historical sources, the painting was allegedly copied from the original piece when it was being transported through Kraków during the Swedish deluge. The late Renaissance bronze tombstone of Erazm Danigiel, who died in 1624, is located by the chapel’s wall.
Chapel of St. Lazarus
The chapel was funded around the year 1435 by Jadwiga Sebastian née Kuńcz. It hosts a Baroque altar with the painting of the Raising of Lazarus and an 18th-century cross. The window is made of stained glass presenting scenes from the life of Christ designed by Jan Januszewski in 1939.
Chapel of St. Valentine
The chapel of St. Valentine, which is also called the chapel of Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn, was funded in 1443 by Jan Dolnicz. The late Baroque brick altar holds a copy of the painting of Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn by Rafał Hadziewicz from the first half of the 19th century. The 15th-century epitaph tombstone of Jan Sebenwirt is the oldest of its kind in St. Mary’s Church. The polychromes in the chapel were designed by Stanisław Wyspiański.
Chapel of St. John of Nepomuk
The chapel was built in 1435 by Franciszek Wiechoń of Kleparz and was funded by father Teodoryk Weinrych. There are graves of the church’s founders, the dukes of Oświęcim, Racibórz, and Zator, and the Silesian Piasts in the undergrounds. The chapel holds the grand Classicistic tombstone of Piotr Fryderyk Dunin of Skrzynno and his wife Zofia née Małachowska. The polychromes on the walls were created by Jan Bukowski and Włodzimierz Tetmajer. The window holds the stained glass designed by Jan Januszewski and presenting the Our Lady on Guard of Kraków, also called Thankful for saving the city and church from destruction in World War II.
Chapel of the Archangel Michael
The chapel is located above the northern galilee. It was funded in 1443 by Jan Baomgart. The chapel hosts a Baroque altar with the image of the Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus and Gothic stalls with late Renaissance backboards.
Chapel of Guardian Angels
The chapel is located above the southern galilee. It was funded in 1435 by Mikołaj Czirla. The chapel hosts a late Gothic altar from early 16th century and a Baroque painting of a Guardian Angel.